How to Prevent Car Key Theft and What to Do If It Happens
Car key theft is a serious problem that can cause you a lot of stress and inconvenience. In the first instance, you lose access to your car. But you also risk having your car stolen or damaged by the thieves. There are some preventive measures you can take to protect your car keys from being stolen which we’ll list first, and further down the article we’ll tell what actions you need to take if you suspect your car keys have been stolen.
- Keep your car keys out of sight. Don't leave your car keys in plain view, such as on a table, a hook, or any place that can be seen through a window. Thieves may spot them and break into your home to get them. This should go without saying, but don’t leave them in an unattended car either!
- Remember to lock your house. It is estimated that 10% of burglaries are committed by thieves looking for car keys. You can foil a lot of opportunistic burglaries simply by keeping your doors locked. Don’t think your security is sufficient? Speak to a locksmith about upgrading your locks.
- Use a steering wheel lock. A steering wheel lock is a device that attaches to your steering wheel and prevents it from being turned. This makes it near impossible for thieves to drive away with your car, even if they have stolen your keys. You can buy a steering wheel lock from any auto accessory store or online.
Sometimes, despite your best efforts, you may still lose your car keys or have them stolen. If that happens, don't panic. Here's what you should do:
- Contact the police. The first thing you should do is report the theft or loss of your car keys to the police. They will ask you some details about your car and your keys, such as the make, model, colour, registration number. They will also give you a crime reference number that you will need if you make an insurance claim.
- Contact your insurance company. The next organisation you should contact is your insurance company. Inform them about the theft or loss of your car keys. They will tell you what coverages you have and what steps you need to take to make a claim. Check your policy, some may cover the cost of replacing your keys.
- Contact a reliable auto locksmith. The final thing you should do is contact a reliable auto locksmith who can replace your keys and reprogram your car's immobiliser system. An auto locksmith is a professional who specialises in car key services, such as cutting, programming, repairing, and replacing car keys, and should have all the tools and the skills to handle any type of car key problem.
PT Lock & Safe is an independent locksmiths that has been providing high-quality and affordable car key services in Norwich and Norfolk for many years. Our experienced and qualified auto locksmiths can handle any type of car key issue, including car key replacement in the event of theft.
If you think your car keys are lost or stolen, don't hesitate to contact PT Lock & Safe. We offer fast and friendly service, 24/7 emergency assistance and competitive prices. You can call us on 01603 812613 and we’ll get you back on the road in no time.